Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Awareness On The Move

With the exception of skin cancer, breast cancer is the only visual cancer.

Imagine yourself in a crowded mall. Can you pick out someone who has lung cancer? Can you see someone with colon cancer? Do you know which shopper has pancreatic cancer?

But, you CAN see a breast cancer patient who has opted out of reconstruction.

Let me make myself clear... this is NOT a post judging a woman's choice for reconstruction or not. I chose to have reconstruction myself after a mastectomy and it failed.

This is about a power we have.

Breast cancer has become an awareness more about breasts than it has become about cancer. It's become a cash cow. Save the tatas, save the boobies, rockers for knockers, i heart boobies, save second base, etc.

We are the only cancer patients/survivors who are able and capable of taking control of this awareness.

It's not easy. We have all been molded somewhat by our breasts. It's part of our sexuality. It's a part of our being. We've all heard someone joke about how "my eyes are up here".

It's not easy for me to write this or for me to practice what I preach. But, I'm obnoxious (sometimes), and abrasive and I'm standoffish. I want to make a stink and I want to bring attention to myself but I don't like to bring attention to myself.

I just wish I could find this shirt in pink.

4 comments:

  1. Girl!! This is fantastic. So powerful. I'd love to repost it on my blog, with your permission. I'm so glad I found your blog and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU GO GIRL! I want to share this to facebook. I saw your comment on the blog of another about wearing tight pink t-shirt all month without your 'foob'. That is bravery, and in-you-face awareness. I totally support you! In fact, it made me think back to just yesterday as I hitched up the right bra strap under my loose-fitting t-shirt to try to even out my uneven boobs. (I had a large lumpectomy on a size DD breast that could be considered a quadrectomy, which was only a possible alternative to mastectomy because of my large breasts.) Now I am thinking, let the right one hang and choose a better-fitting t-shirt! THAT is breast cancer awareness! I wonder how many people I can show my scar to this month...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it!!! Sorry I didn't find you BEFORE your visit to the Big Apple. Would have LOVED to give you a tour of the rest of NYC.... or at least, a drink somewhere!! Happy to meet a witty and irreverent blogger.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. pinkunderbelly, feel free to repost.

    thanks!

    and thank you Dirty Pink Underbelly and AnneMarie!

    ReplyDelete