Saturday, October 15, 2011

I run like a hottie - Cashing In On Cancer

My God.

I awoke this morning at 5 a.m. in order to board a bus to a pink race. My mind seems to be spinning as I sit here now thinking back on what I saw. Trying to put this in some kind of order.

Here are just a couple of things I noticed.

When crammed into a small area, it would appear that there are many survivors. Not so much so when the race begins. There are thousands of people. THOUSANDS. And a handful of women wearing survivor shirts.

It had me wondering what percentage of participants were survivors.

And it had me wondering why.

Why so few?

Did they sleep in for the cure? Do they not participate in this event? Are they tired of spending $25 or $30 for a pink t-shirt and the opportunity to sit in the Survivor's Cafe? Or at worse, are there so few survivors?

My hope is that there are millions of survivors and that they just don't participate.

One thing that has always ticked me off about Breast Cancer Awareness month are the people who "support" the cure with the word "hotties" and "ta tas".

As I was thinking back on this morning, one thing led to another. I came across a team participant's profile and read this...

"Our practice is focused on both cosmetic and reconstructive surgery. We are blessed to help many breast cancer patients on their journey to well-being and looking fabulous!"

"We named our team "Hotties" because it best describes our patients! Dr (who I wont name) gives them fabulous cleavage and they give us a lifetime of inspiration. I run like a hottie..."

I don't know how much more I can comment on this sexist crap.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I can't figure out why this sexism stuff is acceptable when it's about breast cancer. Where are the feminists?

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT'S a very good question... Where ARE the feminists???

    ReplyDelete