Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Resolutions and Accountability

Looking back, I have to say that I have rarely made resolutions. Why bother? I doubt I would have kept any of them.

Driving around on New Year's day I saw tons of people walking. My guess is that they resolved to exercise this year. I wonder how many have stuck with it ten days later?

I did decide that I would try two things this year.

1. Change my purse every Sunday
2. Keep track of what I do on a daily basis

I think I've said it before in one of my posts that I have a bazillion purses. I'm a purse whore. Drop me in the middle of a store and I will gravitate right towards them. I'd love for a therapist to explain to me the obsession I have with purses. Maybe it goes back to childhood. When my mother would hide her purchases in the trunk of her car and wait until dad went to bed to bring them in. Uh oh. I think I just became my own therapist. Moving on...

As of yesterday, I have begun to keep track of what I have done during the day. I need to see how much time and money I'm wasting, so what better way? It can definitely be a rude awakening. I've kept a food diary before and it was disgusting to look back at the day and see all of the crap I ate. It started out as a record keeping of sorts on my sodium intake. My blood pressure had been creeping up and I didn't want to depend on medication to keep it down. The most vivid of meals I can recall was a lunch of hot dogs and chips. And I'm sure a Coke or two. By the time I tallied it up that one lunch amounted to about 1,700 calories. I don't even remember the sodium total. Probably too appalled to even have gotten that far in my records. A day's worth of calories all in one meal.

So, let's see. Sunday I changed purses for the first time in a couple of months. It's always kind of fun to change out handbags. I never completely clean them out. There's always a handful of coins, half a dozen receipts. One time I found about a dozen or more lipsticks and lip balms all in one purse. Now that I no longer wear lipstick I've noticed my lips aren't as chapped as they used to be. These days I only carry around a tube of Burt's Bees.

Tonight I will be bringing my spiral bound calendar and notebook to bed with me. Just as I did last night, I will be reviewing and writing down my activities from the day as well as looking over the "To Do" list to see what I didn't do.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a purse whore, too! Always on the hunt for the "perfect" purse even though my closet is full of them. The latest obsession: an orange Cole Haan bag with a braided strap. When you write in your notebook tonight, be sure and add "made me laugh" to your list of accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, you did NOT just put the thought of an orange Cole Haan bag in my head!!!

      Delete