Friday, July 8, 2011

More Awareness

My family and I stopped over at Jersey Mike's Subs during the week. It seems that pinking and pinkwashing is only getting worse.

Jersey Mike's is "partnering" with Komen with a Pink Ribbon Combo and sub wrappings.

http://www.jerseymikes.com/news/read.php?id=324

"The campaign has three phases:

Phase I: “Mike’s Way to a Cure” begins with the introduction of a specially branded plastic cup that will be available as part of a “Pink Ribbon Combo” or as an individual fountain drink sale and $.70 will go to Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Donations from customers will also be accepted in-store."


The most offensive part of this is the "collectible" cup. Look closely at the bottom of the poster and you'll see that with the purchase of this combo, you can have a collectible cup. Wow, breast cancer now has collectible items. Just like a kids meal from McDonald's.





Maybe they will soon have cups to collect for colon cancer, testicular cancer, brain cancer and ovarian cancer. You could collect all 5!

"Phase II: Customers can support the breast cancer cause by buying custom “Mike’s Way to a Cure” T-shirts (100% of the sales will be donated to Komen). Also, Jersey Mike’s goes pink by creating special Susan G. Komen for the Cure® sub wrapping paper and To Go bags.

Phase III: Jersey Mike’s will create increased awareness for the cause through a final fundraising day in October. Additionally, Jersey Mike’s team members throughout the country are participating in or supporting Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® events in their communities."

More awareness. I'm thinking about tattooing a pink ribbon on my forehead. Kind of like the scarlet letter A... only this will be the "scarlet" pink ribbon.

6 comments:

  1. Oh this IS priceless. You said it all with this quote: "Collect them all!".....Just more evidence to me that breast cancer (tm) is now a lifestyle brand. Sharing this immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I live in NZ where pinkwashing isnt quite to the level you have it in the states. I seriously think I would puke if I saw as much stuff as you guys do. this makes me more nauseous than any of my chemos

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love LOVE your photo! Thank you to CancerCultureChronicles for pointing me in your direction!

    Shelli

    ReplyDelete